If your adult son or daughter is struggling with an addiction, you are not alone. Although your child is grown up, you still worry and care like you did when he or she was younger. We can help you find resources for your adult child to get much needed treatment.
How to Get an Adult Child into Addiction Treatment
When a person you love needs help, it is tempting to try and force that person to seek help immediately. While force will not work with most adult, you can take the following steps to help your loved one:
- Understand your legal rights. Is the person in question married? Can his or her spouse help you? What are your state regulations for helping someone seek treatment? In some states, you may be able to petition the court to have that person committed to treatment for a day or two. Before you take any action, call your lawyer or a recovery counselor to learn more.
- Take good care of yourself. When someone you love is addicted, it is easy to become stressed out or even sick over the situation. Take some time to separate yourself from this situation. When you are feeling well and strong, you will be able to deal with your child’s addiction better.
- Seek support and counsel. You can learn a great deal by speaking with others who understand what you are going through. With a good support system you can receive tips, comfort and social connections that can help get you through this.
- Protect yourself from your child. Drugs, alcohol and mental illness can change the person you love and cause him or her to become violent, irrational and completely different from the child you once knew.
- Consider consulting with a professional interventionist. An interventionist can help you find treatment, handle your loved one and get things moving in the right direction.
The Best Way to Help an Adult Child Struggling with Addiction
Call us for a free consultation. We offer a toll-free helpline and can help you learn more about prescription drug addiction, illegal drug addiction, alcoholism, mental illness, depression, PTSD, bipolar disorder, eating disorders and more. We can even help you find treatment that is covered under your or your adult child’s insurance policy. We are here 24 hours a day, so please call now and learn how to get an adult child into rehab.